POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CALIMAX Modeler : Re: CALIMAX Modeler Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CALIMAX Modeler
From: Rudy Velthuis
Date: 27 Jan 1999 14:39:21
Message: <36af6b69.0@news.povray.org>
Spider schrieb in Nachricht <36AE07D1.EF62A0D5@bahnhof.se>...
>I have to add a few lines here... Comercials...
>Breeze designer. If you havven't tried it, it is worht the download.
>
>As far as I understand it is a beta, and freeware.
>It can do manu things that I think are pretty interesting, It's layout is
somwhat like
>Calimax.
>
>More : It also has openGL preview and the like, all the primitives for pov,
and can break
>them down into meshes (interesting, IMHO).
>
>I'd recommend this for you who look for a modeller...
>I liked the first look of it, and haven't tried much, but I feel it is
good.

I had tested Breeze before Calimax. I don't know why I didn't like Breeze,
but liked Calimax instead, anymore. I have tried both again now and Breeze
is easier to use, altough the interface is really similar. Calimax has the
bad habit (I already mentioned that) of making you change everything in
modal dialogs (a dialog is modal if you can only continue with the rest of
the program as soon as the dialog is closed). Breeze at least has some a bit
easier ways of transforming (scaling rotating, etc.). There was one thing in
Calimax I particularly liked, but I can't exactly remember what it was (I'm
slowly getting old, I'm afraid). At least Calimax has more objects to offer.

Currently I use Moray 3.1 and hand-coded POV. I still like hand-coding best,
but I'm propably one of a very few who still like that. I like the
flexibility of it and I don't like the code generated by modellers, which
are always a bit bloated (this is inherent to the way they work). I mean: I
would make a building with 40 equal windows in a loop. Modellers declare
every single window, with a name etc.

I myself would like to see a modeller which declares a

  box { <-2, -2, -2>, <1, 1, 1> }

not as

  box

    <-1, -1, -1>, <1, 1, 1>
    scale <1.5, 1.5, 1.5>
    translate <-0.5, -0.5, -0.5>
  }

but really as the original box.

Also in POV I have the freedom of choosing the order of scale, rotate and
translate, and not always depend on the order given by the modeller. In the
model I'm currently trying to do, it would really be much easier if Moray
would translate before rotating.
--
Rudy Velthuis